Friday, June 11, 2010

Long, long long day

It's 11:21 p.m. here in Owensboro, and I'm just now thinking about winding down from all of this hoopla at the Kentucky state softball tournament.

The day went a little something like this:

Wake up at 5:30 a.m. Out the door by 6:30 a.m.

Actually make not one, but two wrong turns out of my neighborhood on my way to O'Boro, I'm that disoriented (remember folks, I've been working vampire hours since the end of last August).

Get to Jack C. Fisher Park in time to settle in properly and unpack my portable office (which now includes a cooler and rain gear).

Watch Reidland's first round game begin at exactly 9:04 a.m. (Greyhounds win 2-1 over Green County)

Eat a lovely lunch courtesy of the KHSAA.

Watch Reidland's second round game begin late. Decide too late that I should have been taking pictures during the game. Endure a brief downpour and a lightning delay. (Greyhounds win 6-0 over Shelby County).

Bolt out of the park to check into the hotel and grab a shower.

Come back to ballpark at 6:15 p.m. in anticipation of Reidland's third-round game against Mercy, which was supposed to start at 6:30 p.m.

Eat a $2 hot dog (still not as good as Joe Morris' at Mayfield) and wait for about an hour for the field to clear for the big game.

Freak out a little bit at the showdown between the batters box and the circle as Reidland's batters challenged the lengthy wait presented by the Jaguars before nearly EVERY pitch.

At 8:37 p.m., head back to the upstairs pressbox to update notes on computer when Reidland's game against Mercy, along with the other games going on, is lightning delayed.

At 9:32, game is resumed.

At 10:43, game is finally ended, with a 11-1 Reidland win in six innings.

Interview Reidland catcher Morgan Harrell in light speed (yes, Morgan, I could read almost all of my notes when I got back up to the pressbox) and Reidland coach Tony Hayden.

Turn in last of two stories by 11:16 p.m., which is technically past my deadline.

Now, to head back to the hotel, and hope I can get up in time for the free buffet breakfast. Good night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We sooo appreciate you being here. I hope you don't get to start your vacation until we come home winners!!! But then really...have a ton of fun.