Thursday, April 3, 2008

Rain, rain, more of the same...


As of lunchtime, the rain seems to be over for a little bit today.

But the rain we did get is a big downer for me and my plans for the day, and the radars predict more coming.

I was going to head to the Calloway County at St. Mary softball game this afternoon. While likely not a region showdown, the game had promises of being close since both teams played earlier in the season with Calloway coming out with an 8-6 win. But now with the rain and the cruddy weather, fields are going to be too wet for play.

So I’ve been left to handle other responsibilities around the office. I’m working ahead on sports previews and using the telephone to conduct interviews instead of face-to-face. I’m glued to my chair and forced into staring at my computer screen all day when I could be out filling my lungs with spring air.

I’ve worked in the office basically for two weeks now, and I am ready to get back out to games. I’m like a caged animal who is locked in at The Paducah Sun, baring my teeth and scratching at the door. Although baseball and softball are in full swing, we in the sports department are sitting in between seasons, trying to round up information on baseball, softball, tennis, golf, and track and field before we get back out to the events.

It also stinks because when we have no games at night to cover, we nocturnal-leaning sports writers have to work dayside. That means I get up before the early hour of 9 a.m. to try and get to work before 11 a.m.

I’ll just sit at my desk, wait for my phone calls and hope for better weather this weekend.

No comments: