Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Blissfully ignoring you



I feel like the little girl, above, in this Associated Press photo. lalalalalala! I can't hear you!

I get the majority of my sporting news from espn.com. Since the Olympics have started, I care about only one thing. The Olympics.

While espn.com has good coverage of the events, they're also having to report on the other left-behind sports. College football. Pro football. Major league baseball.

Sorry sportscasters and sportswriters of our country, unless their colors are red, white and blue and are competing for medals, I don't care.

*Inserting fingers in ears. Lalalalalalalalalala!*

I bypass Sportscenter on my TV and head right back to NBC. Even the newscasts I watch are China-focused, which I can't get enough of. Bring me more of Brian Williams' culture pieces!

It's ridiculous. I watched three hours of swimming and men's gymnastics last night. Those are not typical revenue, viewer-producing sports. Yet, I was entranced.

On yahoo.com, I've read nearly every snippet of Olympics news and columns the Web juggernaut puts on my homepage.

It kills me to think I'll miss even a fragment of tonight's events. My church league softball team will be taking the field for playoffs. I can't miss out on playing right-center field, but I might miss Michael Phelps!

Red, white, blue and gold. That's what I'm talking about.

No comments: